April 13, 2014

The Cinematography of Chinatown (1974)


I am writing my first review on The Paxton Configuration since January but thought I'd finally post something and do a Cinematography Of post for the film I'll be reviewing, Chinatown.

The cinematographer on this film was John A. Alonzo who was also the cinematographer on one of the most underrated films in regards to visual flair, Star Trek: Generations. Alonzo was nominated for an Oscar for his work on Chinatown but kind of flew under the radar for the rest of his career (in fact, he wasn't even the first choice for Chinatown; he was a last second replacement).

I consider Alonzo to be one of the greatest cinematographers in film history for the simple fact that his lens work on Star Trek: Generations is one of the reasons I got into film in the first place. But let his view of 1930s Los Angeles in Chinatown show you his skill.

***

Chinatown
Director: Roman Polanski
Cinematographer: John A. Alonzo

*click on the images for a larger view
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Just making sure you're not Skynet ...